Thursday, September 2, 2010

The life I have / the life I want

I am so excited I just can not contain myself. All I think about is my upcoming trip. Even at night I just sleep thinking, planning and imagining how it's all going to play out.

It's now official: I have resigned from my job. It was such a relief after five years of being confined in an office, behind my computer. It feels like I am setting myself free. I have enjoyed being a graphic designer and am sure I will always design. But for now I want to experience other sides of life.

I want to explore, I want to learn and I want to teach the wonderful truths God has blessed me with. I want to breathe the air of other places and try out different things to survive. I want to watch the sunset in Mozambique, Malawi and wherever else my journey will take me.

I honestly think there is more to life than just sitting in my office corner, designing magazine after magazine full of things I do not even agree with, in an environment that I used to love, but do not like so much any more. Earning money, paying bills and then struggling to get by till the following month. Having a very easy and simple job, but always living in fear of when your boss will just lash out at you.

I do not want that any more. I want a simple life, where I can just live out of my back pack. Where I will not be worrying about buying more things for my flat, earning more and more and spending more and more.

So as I have said before I gave my landlord notice that I will be moving out end of this month, I have told my dad about my plans, and now it's all starting to feel very real. It is finally happening and I am still just as excited as when I got the idea to do this first time around.

I have been busy going sorting out all the things that I still need to sort out before I can go, but most of my plans for the coming months are still vague. I have lots of ideas, but I have not fine-tuned every detail, and I doubt I will have done so on the day I leave. Everything is still open.

Am I not scared? Yes, I am very scared. But I have no doubt in my mind that I must do this, regardless of how it will turn out. I have promised myself never to regret this decision. I have wanted this for so long and now the opportunity has finally come.

Of course I worry about what will happen. What if all my plans will not work out? What if all my things get stolen? What if something bad happens? I have played all kinds of scenarios in my head. But still... I just want to go. I am still young. I have no husband or children to care for yet, so I guess this is just the perfect time. And if I do not do this now, I will just have to live with with no answers. I don't want to live my life just asking: what if...? I hope my journey will answer my question whether there is really more to life. Just stay tuned to find out...

Right now I am trying to figure which route I should take from here. I will be going to Zambia first. Through Namibia? Zimbabwe? Botswana? I'm not sure yet. But I will keep you posted about what I decide.

Please say a prayer for me as I plan and prepare further for this journey. That the Lord will teach me and reform me and that this journey will help me attain a character that is good, pure and noble. I have been praying about it a lot. And no matter how much I worry, it's just awesome and reassuring to know that no matter what may happen, God will be with me. Every step of the way.

6 comments:

  1. How funny!I was thinking of telling you that it's about time you did another blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thandi,
    I am thinking of taking the Namibia route...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't really matter where to go just follow ur feeling and use ur smile. There will be evrywhere good and bad people, use ur smile and the people will be good. Again i wish u luck with ur journey and i hope we will meet in december somewhere.
    Sjap sjap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally got around to reading your blog! I think it is really fantastic that you have decided to take this important step in your life, and I am looking forward to reading about your experiences. As you say, moving is what you do best so I have no doubt you will be fine, in fact I am sure you will love it! There is a big wide open world out there, go and live in it. and write about it as much as you can, I will definitely be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck ... make sure yu end up in Kenya around end of year ... yu know why!!

    ReplyDelete