Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My first day at work

(My first day at work was 3 weeks ago so this is rather delayed)

When I first entered the class room I was worried whether I could even make my voice heard, about the many chattering kids voices. But as soon as I opened my mouth to greet them, they all jumped up and and welcomed me with a loud and hearty " good morning teacher!" " How are you teacher?" " Fine thank you teacher!"

Bwafwano community school is located in Chawama compound, one of the poorest surburbs around Lusaka. The school is a 1 classroom bulding in the middle of a open dusty field, surrounded by crowded markets where flies swarm around dried fish, mangos and the dried caterpillars that are a loved local snack.

The classroom is filled with broken desks and benches. far too few for the over 60 pupils that were there when we arrived. Some are seated on the floor, or on top of the broken desks. Others pile up on the few benches, while others just stand in the back.

We had initially thought we would be working with about 15 children, but the crowd that greeted us was far bigger. Children in community schools like Bwafwano hardly have any teachers and far too little activities, so most of them are usually desperate for any form of knowledge anyone is willing to impart, especially if they are muzungu's (My Dutch workmates).

They were so eager and listened attentively as I introduced our project. They kept on nodding yes madam to everything I said. We gave them a first drawing exercise, for which we had to provide them with materials because they hardly have anything. As we were handing out papers and pencils, we quickly realised it would not work out, as we had not counted on so many children. So we had to be creative and break the pencils in half. Even then we could not supply everybody, as new ones kept on coming in, so more were left waiting for others to finish. It was very difficult to watch them as they struggled to draw, on their laps and on the floor. It was heart warming how they were so disciplined and willing, but it was just very hard for them to do a proper drawing on their lap.

Working with these children, who just kept calling for me every opportunity they got, " teacher! teacher!" and the eagerness in their eyes, left me so humbled and yet so satisfied. I enjoyed it so much and it confirmed why I had wanted to do this project in the first place: I love working with kids.

Seeing how they struggle with the little means they have makes me want to help them in any way I can. Even after just one day of working there I already felt I would love to work there longer so I could really make a difference. This experience makes me wish I had the funds and resources to improve and transform this place into the proper school that every child deserves.

1 comment: