Friday, July 8, 2011

Holiday of bliss and awesomeness

So, I did not really fulfill my promise of writing more blogs about my trip. And now, after such a long time, things are not so clear in my head anymore and it will be hard to be as descriptive as I would have liked. But a promise is a promise, so here goes.

When I arrived in Malawi, visiting my dearest friend Omega was on top of my list. I first met her in Cape Town years ago, when we both worked at The Big Issue magazine. Miggs became like a big sis to me back then. She used to sit right opposite me at the office and over our desks we shared lots of laughter and good times.

Of course I was very excited that I would be seeing her again, and that I would be staying with her and her husband Wakisa for a week. But I was also a bit nervous, because we had not seen each other for so long and not kept in touch so often. Would we still click like we used to?

When I arrived at the bus stop and she came to pick me up, she was so kind to drop off my bus buddy at her friends place. After that act of kindness I knew my Miggs had not changed :). I was still a bit nervous, but right there someone should have warned me and told me not to waste my time being nervous, but to rather let my hair down and look forward to a holiday of bliss and awesomeness.

As we were driving to their home. We couldn’t stop talking. It was as if she had never left and as if we were back to our spots at the office, chatting away until the office would close.

To cut the long story short, staying with them in their beautiful paradise home, being taken around Blantyre in their posh red car, rubbing shoulders with the who’s who in Malawi, eating at fancy, cozy restaurants, being pampered with manicures and all things lovely was overwhelming for me. But Omega kept repeating the same words over and over and soon enough I obeyed. "Put your legs up and enjoy, you’re on holiday, let your big sis spoil you." And sure I was spoiled!

I loved their home, I loved them and their hospitality was mind blowing. I appreciated it so much that, with my nervousness out of the window, I ended up staying for 3 weeks :).

No comments:

Post a Comment