Friday, July 8, 2011

Let’s make happiness

"Lord keep me in your way, so that I will not be in your way."

For a long time I used to live my life for tomorrow. I was always planning what I would be up to next month, next year and a few years from now. Looking back, this robbed me of so much happiness that I could have enjoyed on those days, instead of always living for the next. I am not saying we should not plan, but I think we should not get consumed with planning to the point where we miss the blessings of today.

It becomes even more dangerous to us Christians, because focusing on the long term can easily tempt you to leave Christ out of your planning, thinking you are in control of your future, ending up walking in your own way instead of walking in his way.

This was one of the lessons that God taught me throughout my trip.

Before I travelled I was a girl with a plan. I was not a very content person. I would be content and extremely happy for a season, but soon the feeling would wear of and I would begin to plan and hope for better things.

It was a problem in my life that I never worked out, I was constantly planning what to do next. And going on a trip like this was going to be perfect, because I had planned to spend one month in every town. But my stay in Lusaka taught me to take each day as it comes, because even though we make our own plans to suit ourself, God usually has a different plan that he uses to teach us.

As I wrote before, when I first arrived in Lusaka it was not my most favorite place. The quicker we could move to the next destination the better. So i was already counting days till that one month was over and we would be off. I had groaned and moaned to Jorrit about when we would finally leave.

But things went differently. We ended up staying for a long while, and I eventually learned to love the place.

I believe God used that experience to teach me to be content and happy where I am at that moment. It took me a long time to realise it and it was not easy, but praise God that He can change us if we allow Him to. Where I am right now in my life, I do not see how I would be managing without that lesson. I would have been very anxious and unhappy.

But because of that lesson I am an extremely happy girl, no jokes. I find joy in the little things. I find it ridiculous, but at the same time I am loving it.

I am still learning, by Gods help, to enjoy the little happiness of now, that I would otherwise miss, because I would be so busy planning my next move. It brings even more joy when you know that you are where God wants you to be at that time and to enjoy every minute of it and suck in as much happiness as you can, learning all the lessons you must learn for this moment.

I am glad that I discovered this magic formula: contentment equals happiness. Now, as my brother Jacques likes to say: let's make happiness :).

2 comments:

  1. thats it, I am happy you have leant this great lesson as Scripture says " Godliness with contentment is great gain" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its truly a great gain.Thank you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete