Monday, August 15, 2011

useful

When I got back to Cape Town after my trip, I had become convicted deep down in my heart that I wanted to be a useful person. Not just useful to myself, but to others. I wanted to be helpful, to serve others in whatever God would call me to do.

At first I spent days attempting to study for a UNISA degree, but attempting slowly turned into pretending. I had moved back home so bills were not as pressing as before, and I was just not ready to even think of an office job like the one I came from.

I realised I would need to gain more practical skills and learn to be more useful to myself before I could start being useful to others. Some of the skills that were on my ever-growing list were sewing, natural healing/ herbs, photography, guitar playing, creative writing, crafts, children’s activities, how to homeschool, how to grow healthy locs and of course the most important was bible studying. I wanted to really know how to search the scriptures, how to learn prophecy and how to teach it.

I started looking for courses and started visiting second-hand shops, looking for cheap books that could help me. I spent a lot of time on the net and in the Exclusive Books store, going through books I could not afford to buy. During this time I was pleading with God to help me be a useful individual and not to think of things that concern only me.

In the future I would like to look back at my life and not have the kind of regrets where I wish I had done this or done that. And I want to prepare for wherever God will send me, so that I will be equipped to help myself, my family, friends and others around me.

I believe a time is coming when our worldly achievements will be of no value, because we will not be allowed to work, buy or sell. That is why I want to become an individual who can live anywhere, anytime and still be useful to people around me, not having to look back thinking: if only I had known.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! As you know,the only reason I am studying towards a career is in case hubby dies. But together with the desire to be able to find 'work' I just can't see myself doing something mundane.Which is why I'm working on this particular qualification.We wouldn't ever be 'rich' on it, but I really really want to be useful too. And sisi,now is the best time to learn.I tell you,I can't find the time nor the money to learn to sew now.And yet I want to learn.Seize the day.

    ReplyDelete